ABOUT CUSTER TOWNSHIP
Michigan’s township form of government precedes statehood by at least ten years. Formed on an as needed basis this often resulted in changes over time. Custer Township was created in just this way. In 1874 the Mason County Board decided to take parts of Riverton and Amber Townships to create a new township known as Eden. In the fall of 1878 J.J. Gidding and 85 others called to separate the northern section of Eden into a new township. October 18, 1878 Custer Township was incorporated. The new township was named after General George Custer following the Village already in existence. The Village of Custer lies completely within the boundaries of Custer Township. Much of Custer Township was and is a rural farming community.
Many of things associated with Custer are within the Village of Custer. When giving directions to people outside the community it is common to hear people comment about the cow head on Nash Bro’s, the round building on the corner, Johnny’s Bandstand or Sanders Meats. Another destination in our Township is the handicap fishing dock on the Pere Marquette River at Custer Bridge. The Custer Bridge is a popular launch site for boats, canoes and kayaks all summer long.
Located at 1950 E US Hwy 10 just outside of Custer
Mailing address: PO Box 111, Custer, MI 49405
The Custer VFW Gold Bar Post is having a
Memorial Day Service at the Custer Riverside Cemetery
Monday – May 31, 2021 at 10:30AM
Due to the Covid-19 this will be a lite service